Sunday, January 29, 2012

Home. At last.

In a weird Wizard of Oz moment, we walked in the door yesterday and I muttered “there is no place like home” as I kicked off my ruby havianas.
I understand that this is an odd way to look at the conclusion of a holiday; but I suspect I am too old for back chatting kids; to be honest, I forgot just how horrible they are.
The rather wide variation in how the Squeeze and Harridan have bought up their children, compared to myself, also comes into play.  Not that I am about to release a movie on the success story of motherhood or anything.  Mine have been horrendous on occasion; but I do like think that I’ve managed to breed kids that are considerate of other people; understand they are responsible for themselves financially and that the world does not revolve around them. 
So it was with certainty that I figured that the Squeeze and the kid would have breathed a loud sigh of relief as they drove off this morning, just pleased to be gone from my screeching presence.  And this morning I was actually screeching.  Waking to find that some idiot left the freezer open last night and that everything has melted and will now have to be cleaned out to get rid of frost – will do that to me first thing in the morning.  So yes, they probably were relieved to be gone.  I myself barely refrained from doing a jig and shouting ‘thank the Lord!’ as they pulled away from the kerb.
The worst part about the whole thing is that I really do try to shut my mouth.   For each comment that leaves my lips; five are swallowed.  And am I really asking too much?  Mostly, I don’t think so.  Aside from the fact that hygiene is pretty damned important on my list and I don’t see why I have to be offended at my table by a lack of it from others; it is important for this kid to get with the program – preferably before starting at a new school. 
And the worst part is that I’m not sure how to fix it.  I refuse to allow my house to be treated like “clean freak hell’ – I can’t (won’t) live like that.  Nor do I want to spend the whole week after a visit, cleaning it furiously since it is no more than sheer, unadulterated laziness.
And all the while, I wonder just what the hell her place looks like if they are both just tossing apple cores where they land and figuring you don’t have to wash clothes even if you have worn them for three days straight in 35+ weather…
This afternoon, I’m off to unwind.  Kid 2 on my side, the girl, is taking me to the movies to see “Underworld”.  And that; I'm sure, will set my stress mode off again as I hear about the muppet she is living with and she arrives with mere minutes to spare before the movie starts! 

At least she is paying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks. Better check it out but it should be up today!